In 1842 the today's railway station
Postbahnhof was put into operation under the name "
Frankfurter Bahnhof ". Constructed as a terminus, it was rebuild to a
through station at the end of 19-th century and therefor renamed as "Schlesischer Bahnhof". In GDR times it was
named « Ostbahnhof », became the central station of East Berlin and
still is an important traffic junction of the capital.
At the beginning of the 20th century the
large amounts of incoming and outgoing post could not be coped any more with
the small post office, which was located nearby the railway station. That is
why in 1907/08 a separate railway post-office, consisting of a postal service
building and the real post railway station was built.
Architect in charge was the post government building
surveyor Wilhelm Tuckermann (1840-1919), who was also leading for the planning
and the construction of the former Postfuhramt and Haupttelegraphenamt in the
Oranienburger street in Berlin Mitte.
Very quickly the railway post-office near Ostbahnhof
became one of the most significant post offices of the German Empire. After the
2nd World War the post office lost its relevance. It was strongly
destroyed through the war and became only practically re-established.
Nevertheless, the mainly unscathed post railway
station was in use during the times of the inter-German separation. Only with
the shifting of the letter traffic from the rails to the air and on the
streets, quietness enters the area of the Postbahnhof.
Because of its nearness to the former
border stripe and the associated interest of Berlin’s government in the
recreation of this historically significant area on the border of
Friedrichshain to Kreuzberg, the Postbahnhof fortunately escaped decay.
Ambitious urban development plans have the purpose to precipitate an
interaction between the railway station and its surrounding.
Independently from the solution that will be pushed
through - the monument-protected Postbahnhof will be the emblem of the area
around the railway station Ostbahnhof!
Postbahnhof – today
The venue Postbahnhof, which applies on
approximately 3,000 square metres, impresses with its clear architectural
geometry and the plain, darkly clinkered facade in the gothic-brick-style of
the Brandenburg Marches.
No less charming is the inner life. The
Postbahnhof itself consists of two gigantic, former post cargo halls, apart
from inessential next rooms.
The “Einpackkammer” is located in the
ground floor. In former times letters and parcels were sorted and were prepared
for sending in that part of the building.
The hall fascinates by a massive steel
railway underconstruction and the location at the ground level to the street -
a determining advantage for project planning concerning delivery possibilities.
By its upper lights and big gothic
windows the almost 1,800 square metre the rail hall (Gleishalle) in the upper
floor is even more attractive. In warm summer nights the use of the terrace is
One can enjoy an unconfined view at
Europe’s biggest and lately build multipurpose Hall -O2 World-, the
Oberbaumbrücke and the historically significant East Side Gallery.